Excursion to La GomeraTenerife offers a lot of opportunities to those who want to spend a holiday period surrounded by nature and history. Once you are here, you will have the chance to explore the other islands of the archipelago. We suggest spending a day on the island of La Gomera.
The best beaches of La Gomera
This island is characterised by beautiful and unspoiled beaches of black sand or pebbles which cover its 90 km of coastline. Here you will find some information about its most fascinating beaches:
- Playa de Alojera. This volcanic, black-sanded beach is located along the north-western coast and is one of the largest and most popular. It is 200 meters long and 40 meters wide, surrounded by cliffs. The old, white houses of the fishermen have been transformed into residential facilities, which stand out in a very picturesque way. This beach is far from the most touristic centres, so it is very peaceful.
- Playa de la Caleta. Considered the most beautiful beach of La Gomera, Playa de la Caleta is located along the north-western coastline, 6 km far from Hermigua. It is composed of black sand and pebbles and is ideal for families with children as it is in a bay protected from streams. It is 180 meters long and offers a wonderful view over Tenerife and Mount Teide.
- Playa de Vallehermoso. This beach is 3,5 km from the town of Vallehermoso, along the northern part of the coastline. It is 200 meters long and 20 meters wide and is composed of black sand and pebbles. It is surrounded by high cliffs and usually rough seas, so it is ideal for expert swimmers.
- Playa del Medio. This virgin beach is along the southern coastline of La Gomera, close to Playa Santiago, in an inlet which includes the uncontaminated bays of Tapahuga and Chinguarime. It is surrounded by barren cliffs. As it is very peaceful, it is visited by naturists. It offers no services.
- Playa Santa Catalina. This surfers’ paradise is along the northern coast of La Gomera, halfway between Agulo and Hermigua. It is considered one of the most beautiful beaches of black sand and pebbles of the island. It is 850 meters long and 35 meters wide, and is served by small chiringuitos and rural, family-run hotels.
- Playa Santiago. Located along the western coastline, this beach is composed of sand and pebbles and is the longest of the island. It is surrounded by a small village of fishermen.
The best beaches for children and families in La Gomera
If you are travelling with your children, these are the ideal beaches for you.
- Valle Gran Rey. In the Gran Rey Valley are some of the most popular beaches of La Gomera. Among these, you will find Playa de Vueltas, Charco del Conde and Playa de la Valle del Gran Rey which are perfect for children.
- Puerto de Santiago. Close to the port of Santiago, this beach is ideal for families with children. Its waters are generally calm, and it is very close to the town of Santiago, which offers every kind of service.
- Playa La Caleta.
La Gomera En Naviera Tour – departure from Tenerife
Here you will find one of the many tours involving La Gomera. You leave by ferry from Los Cristianos leading to the capital of La Gomera, San Sebastian de La Gomera. Once there, a bus will accompany you to La Valle de Hermigua, and then you will continue towards the village of Aguro, passing across La Palmita and the Parque Nacional. Here you will have a rest and will have a meal in a typical restaurant. After lunch, you will continue towards Garajonay, a wonderful Laurel forest which is part of the National Park and has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will stop in La Laguna Grande, an evocative place where, according to a legend, the witches of the islands used to gather.
This island is interesting not only for its landscape, but also for its history: here the characteristic “silbo gomero”, a complex language composed of whistles and used by the shepherds, can still be heard. The return trip includes a stop in Roque de Ando, a majestic lava construction, and will end in San Sebastian, which you will visit before returning to Tenerife. In San Sebastian, there are the tracks of Cristopher Columbus, such as Torre del Conde and La Casa de Colón.
Costs and information
The cost of the described trip is around 70 euros for adults, according to the options that you will choose. You will find further information on the website